Despite a dogged effort in the second half and with an unlikely victory sight with 10mins remaining, the Bulldogs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Here are the player ratings from Round 9.
1. Sam Perrett (6) A very quiet night from the custodian who was caught out of position when Michael Morgan burst through the back field to evade his attempted tackle.
2. Corey Thompson (7) Targeted with aerial and kicks in behind by the Cowboys, the stoutly built winger held his own and managed an important 4 pointer, only to off set it with a bad one on one miss to let in the equalizer.
3. Josh Morris (6) The good news is he got through 80 minutes and looked quite solid. The bad news is he looks like he has lost a yard of speed, exposed badly when Michael Morgan skipped around him for the games opening try.
4. Chase Stanely (7) Very solid in defence with good positioning and decision making, not utilised enough in attack.
5. Curtis Rona (8) One of the Dogs best, good all round game exemplified by his 80m dash to the try line.
6. Moses Mbye (4) promising start but crucial errors riddled his performance. Coach killing penalty on the 5th tackle lead to Cowboys scoring on the next set a minute before halftime. He also dropped the ball cold 10 mins left in the game which lead to Gavin Cooper try and bad miss tackle on Michael Morgan that lead to the match winner.
7. Trent Hodkinson (8) under close scrutiny with Origin around the corner, he out pointed Jonathan Thurston and produced his best 80 minutes of the season.
8. Aiden Tolman (8) Workhorse machine like effort in a losing side, leads from the front
9. Michael Lichaa (8) made a thousand tackles but ran out of steam late as highlighted by his poor miss tackle on Michael Morgan (in conjunction with Mbye) for the deciding score
10. David Klemmer (8) A very solid return to first grade for Klemmer in a performance that will have the NSW selectors thinking seriously about his inclusion for the Blues.
11. Josh Jackson (8) speaking of the Blues, may as well size him up for a sky blue jersey.
12. Tony Williams (2) He gets a point for each half. Terrible and needs to be dropped to the bench
13. Sam Kasiano (5) The high temperature Townsville weather not conducive for a behemoth like Kasiano.
14. Frank Pritchard (6) Not as involved as his efforts for Toa Samoa a week earlier but should be starting ahead of T Rex.
15. Tim Browne (5) Coughed up possession which lead to Cowboys first try.
16. Antonio Kaufusi (6) A couple of nice charges in his limited minutes
17. Lloyd Perrett (7) The kid has a bright future as a ball playing 13 in the Glen Stewart mold.
Coach Hasler (7) He probably wishes he picked a utility on the bench to cover Michael Lichaa especially in Townsville conditions. His halftime spray worked a treat to first get the team back in the game and into a winning position they should have capitalized on save for some schoolboy errors down the stretch.